Sunday 25 May 2014

The Sunday Posts 2014/ Expect Nothing.




Expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.
become a stranger
To need of pity
Or, if compassion be freely
Given out
Take only enough
Stop short of urge to plead
Then purge away the need.

Wish for nothing larger
Than your own small heart
Or greater than a star;
Tame wild disappointment
With caress unmoved and cold
Make of it a parka
For your soul.

Discover the reason why
So tiny human midget
Exists at all
So scared unwise
But expect nothing. Live frugally
On surprise.       

Alice Walker
Photo By Alistair.

4 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
The photo is delightful Alistair. Alice Walker is a writer I have never 'got round to' somehow though I am of course familiar from a distance, as it were. The final lines reminds me of an Indian proverb; expect nothing accept everything.

There is something bereft about the second verse I feel. No doubt, though, that in the end we stand alone.

The key message I am taking away today? See Beautiful!

Have a great week. YAM xx

Eolist Petite said...

"Wish for nothing larger
Than your own small heart" - so love this line... and i would be wise to realize that having it beating within my chest is all i really need to survive. <3

awesome photo! so love the colors of spring and summer!

Indigo Roth said...

That's an odd old poem, but a top drawer photo, Sah! I take my hats off to you. Yes, both.

DB Stewart said...

I too feel very strongly about "Wish for nothing larger Than your own small heart Or greater than a star."
Thank you Alistair.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...