Sunday 18 March 2012

The Sunday Posts 2012



Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

'Ulysses'
By Alfred Tennyson

Photo of Rhinefall, Switzerland by Alistair

8 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

That's just what I did.
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

You cannae get much bloody newer than New Zealand.


Help. Help.

I'm living in a f*cking poem.

I'm doomed, doomed.
I just don't have the rhymes.

Alistair said...

Aye, doomed laddie. DOOMED!

{remember that?}

loverofwords said...

One of my favorites as a teacher in the States. Always choke up a bit at the end.

Alistair said...

Loverofwords - I know. Time runs out eventually despite all we try.

DB Stewart said...

'Tis not too late? I like hearing that. Thank you.

Alistair said...

dbs - Never give up! Never surrender!

ChrisJ said...

I didn't know this poem, so as I read it I was thinking, "Wow this guy really knows how to write poetry." Now I'm disillusioned -- but at least I know good poetry when I see it! :)

Alistair said...

Glad you liked it Chris and that it got to you! Always nice to know something hits the mark.

Thanks for your comment.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...