Tuesday 30 August 2011

It's Got To Be Purr-fect


Hullo ma wee blog,

It's late. 

I'm cold and I’m tired. This isn’t surprising since it’s silly o’clock in the morning and the house has been quiet for hours, soon after My Lovely G had come to kiss me goodnight, yawn and make her way upstairs to bed, taking time to perform her nightly ablutions before switching off the lights in the hall and closing the bedroom door, leaving me to follow on behind when I feel I'm tired enough to make sleep a possibility. In the past weeks I've tried every combination and convolution of routine in trying to find a way to get a decent night's sleep. Despite this, I've not found a consistent solution to the problem. Eventually, to avoid waking my lovely G with my constant tossing and turning, I've resorted to staying up until tiredness hits me. Sometimes, that's four a.m. Tonight it's a little better.


Several hours have passed since G went upstairs and eventually weariness has begun to set in making me think that perhaps I should head upstairs and try to get some rest. I close down the computer, get up from my chair, collecting the coffee cup from earlier in the evening as I go, and head towards the kitchen where I rinse the cup and leave it on the draining board to dry before going to the utility room to spend a moment or two saying goodnight to a sleepy Jess who is warm and comfortable in her basket. She purrs loudly in response to my hand on her shoulder and neck and watches me with large eyes as I massage her for a second or two while I murmur goodnight sleepily at her. After a few moments I turn away towards the door but before I get there a plaintive meow follows. I turn back to find Jess, now fully awake, is in the process of stretching and rising to a seated position. Seeing she has my attention she meows again more forcefully. Clearly she wants to come with me. I hesitate, worried that if she comes upstairs now she's awake she'll be disruptive and need to be brought back downstairs which in turn will disrupt me from any chance of sleep, but decide despite that to take her with me. I give her a look that I hope shows my concern by way of a warning in the hope of good behaviour and say, "Aye, okay." I pull the door open and stand aside as she struts along the edge of the work surface with her tail held up in triumph before jumping down to land lightly at my feet. She takes a few steps towards the door into the hall and sits politely down to wait as I close the utility room door behind me and reach towards the light switch. As I open the hall door she slips through before me and heads towards the stairs, pausing momentarily to look back at me as if for permission, before she begins to climb. I close the door quietly behind me and follow on, switching off the light downstairs as I go.


Jess sits waiting facing the bedroom door as I climb the stairs. Despite the look she gives me that clearly says she feels she's been patient enough, I turn away from her and head towards the bathroom. After a few minutes of tooth brushing I'm ready and head back towards the bedroom. Jess is still there, although now she's facing towards me and has her back to the bedroom door. "If only cats could frown" comes to mind as I walk towards her. I give one final look to warn/beg for good behaviour as I open the door and once again she slips ahead of me into the darkness. I hear a sound, a small puff of air that tells me she's lept up onto the bed beside My Lovely G as I walk round to my side of the bed peeling off T-shirt and trousers before eventually climbing under the duvet. I pull it up across my shoulder and sigh with contentment, realising that sleep is a real possibility.


Instinctively when I go to bed I reach towards my lovely G and usually spend a few minutes caressing her back, shoulders or hips and tonight is no exception, even at this late hour. Touching her reminds me how cold I really am. I'm absolutely freezing. Tonight, my roaming hand also serves to raise a groan from the sleeping silhouette beside me and she turns towards me, reaching out to clasp and pull me towards her. She holds me to her skin in a burning embrace that instantly begins to force heat into my body. It feels incredible. She takes a deep breath, sighs contentedly and kisses my cheek. Her hand presses against my shoulder indicating that I should turn around, and as I do so she slips closer behind me and I'm held by a gentle arm across my waist. The heat of her pours into me and the cold slips out. I groan in deep satisfaction and, as the heat penetrates, I feel myself almost literally fall backwards towards sleep. 

I feel Jess gently (for once) move across my legs and up towards my chest. She sits momentarily before collapsing softly against me and I begin to feel her heat seep through the duvet and chase the last vestiges of cold from my chest. 

I smile as she begins to purr. This time, I know I'll be joining her shortly.

Purrfect........

See you later. 

Listening to:

9 comments:

DB Stewart said...

I love it when my wife transfers her heat to me. We are very blessed men.

DB Stewart said...

I forgot to mention...you described this so well. Kudos.

Alistair said...

Normally I like to warm up slowly in bed. Getting into a cold bed is luxury for me usually and I try to avoid contact with the furnaces that are this pair. That night was different.....

Cheers buddy!

Nicky Parry said...

Aw, so sweet!

Alistair said...

Nicky - Thanks you.

Indigo Roth said...

Hey Alistair! "Bed when tired" is the only bedtime I adhere to, and it seems to work. Glad you got a goodie. Indigo

[BTW, I was a bit concerned we were heading into raunchy territory there for a moment. Phew!]

Alistair said...

Hi Indigo - Aye, I noticed you posted very late one night recently too.

Raunchy - not really my style I'm afraid.

Mind you..........

Morning's Minion said...

Sleep is such an elusive thing even when all the elements have been perfectly staged. Caffeine is an aggravation for me.
A pest on this laptop--had a comment ready to go and the mere wave of a finger sent it to nowhere.

Alistair said...

Hullo MM - I do try and stay off the caffeine before bed {not always successfully}.

and you're right - it's got to be purrfect!

Commiserations on the comment thing - I don't know how many times that's happened to me.

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...