Wednesday 3 February 2010

Update on 'To be or not to be seen.........'


hullo ma wee blog,

Just seen this news article on line. Thought it worth quoting in full.

'France refuses a citizenship over full Islamic veil'

The French government has refused to grant citizenship to a foreign national on the grounds that he forced his wife to wear the full Islamic veil.

The man, whose current nationality was not given, needed citizenship to settle in the country with his French wife.

But Immigration Minister Eric Besson said this was being refused because he was depriving his wife of the liberty to come and go with her face uncovered.

Last week, a parliamentary committee proposed a partial ban on full veils.

It also recommended that anyone showing visible signs of "radical religious practice" be refused residence permits and citizenship.

'Integration'

In a statement, Mr Besson said he had signed a decree on Tuesday rejecting a man's citizenship application after it emerged that he had ordered his wife to cover herself with a head-to-toe veil.

"It became apparent during the regulation investigation and the prior interview that this person was compelling his wife to wear the all-covering veil, depriving her of the freedom to come and go with her face uncovered, and rejected the principles of secularism and equality between men and women," he said.

Later, the minister stressed that French law required anyone seeking naturalisation to demonstrate their desire for integration.

Mr Besson's decree has now been sent to Prime Minister Francois Fillon for approval.

The interior ministry says only 1,900 women wear full veils in France, home to Europe's biggest Muslim minority.

In 2008, a French court denied citizenship to a Moroccan woman on the grounds that her "radical" practice of Islam was incompatible with French values.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Mr Besson's decree is also sent to our Prime Minister !
Mr. Scudder

Elizabeth Rhiannon said...

Hello Al! Not a comment on this post but to thank you for yours on my posts! I'm glad to hear you also have a high regard for your fellow Scot, Mr.John Muir. That picture of him is also a favorite of mine. I wish I had known him...I fully agree with his way of life and thinking...a great man, his view on nature, especially the Sierras is exactly what I would say if I could put it in words so passionately as he did. Take care Al and thanks for visiting me way out here :) Hope all is well with you and yours...ER

Kat_RN said...

I do not like the idea that someone is forcing someone else to wear anything, however, if a woman (or man) for that matter wishes to do so, I don't think it is anyone else's business. Religious freedom is very important and after all, wasn't Christianity once considered radical too? I am interested in your opinion. I noticed that you just reported, didn’t comment, so,,, how do you feel?
Kat

Alistair said...

Kat - my views are fairly lengthily posted on the first post of 27th but in short I have some concerns.

I would always be respectful of the culture and tradition of the country I was living in.

Would you expect to be able to walk down a street in a Moslem country in shorts and a bikini top for example without comment or causing offence?

ER :-)

The Sunday Posts 2017/Mince and Tatties.

Mince and Tatties I dinna like hail tatties Pit on my plate o mince For when I tak my denner I eat them baith at yince. Sae mash ...